Facebook and YouTube are the two social media channels most widely used by baby boomers and older Americans, according to 2021 research published by the Pew Research Center. With the youngest baby boomers aged 57 as of 2021, marketers who sell products and services to this demographic should focus on building and / or enhancing their baby boomer marketing presence on Facebook and YouTube.
Facebook users across all ages are frequent and loyal visitors to the site, with 49 percent reporting that they use the site several times every day, 22 percent visit their Facebook page at least once a day, while less than one third (29 percent) visit the social media outlet less often.
Consider the fact that 2.54 billion people globally used at least one Facebook service on a daily basis in September, 2020!
Marketing to the adult children of baby boomers and older Americans is often an important part of making a sale. Facebook is used by 77 percent of adults ages 30-49 while YouTube is used by an even higher 91 percent of adults in that age range. Yet another reason to tap into these channels for baby boomer marketing, whether direct to the end user or through their family members.
Facebook has more than 10 million active advertisers across all its platforms (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc.) Most of these advertisers are small and medium-sized businesses that find Facebook to be an effective way to reach their audience, which is true also for baby boomer marketing campaigns.
YouTube is checked daily by more than half of its user base (54 percent), and more than a third of users (36 percent) visit the video site several times each day.
Twitter is used less frequently by users across all ages, with just under half of people surveyed (46 percent) saying they visited the site on a daily basis.
Looking at the other leading social media platforms, the Pew Research Center reports usage rates by demographics in the age ranges of 50-64 and also 65 or older as indicated below.
- Instagram: Used by 29% of those aged 50-64 and 13% aged 65 or older
- Pinterest: Used by 38% of those aged 50-64 and 18% aged 65 or older
- LinkedIn: Used by 33% of those aged 50-64 and 11% aged 65 or older
- Snapchat: Used by 12% of those aged 50-64 and 2% aged 65 or older
- Twitter: Used by 18% of those aged 50-64 and 7% aged 65 or older
- WhatsApp: Used by 23% of those aged 50-64 and 10% aged 65 or older
- TikTok: Used by 14% of those aged 50-64 and 4% aged 65 or older
- Reddit: Used by 10% of those aged 50-64 and 3% aged 65 or older
- Nextdoor: Used by 16% of those aged 50-64 and 8% aged 65 or older
Percent of Americans Using Social Media
Social media platforms are a widely accepted part of today’s communications channels, with 72 percent of Americans reporting use of social media sites in 2021.
In keeping with this overall usage rate, 73 percent of Americans ages 50 to 64 use at least one form of social media. Baby boomers who are 65 or older have slightly lower adoption rates at 45 percent, but this has been growing because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Reaching the Baby Boomer Audience on Facebook
Consistency, repetition, and lively communications are essential when building a strong foundation for all types of digital marketing campaigns targeting baby boomers and their adult children.
The basic building blocks for Facebook engagement include the following:
- Content marketing based on a strategic editorial calendar
- Advertising campaigns, including funnels and retargeting
- Page boosts
- Educational videos
- FAQs to answer common questions
Sound interesting? Give us a call to discuss a baby boomer social media marketing campaign for your company.
Start Your Baby Boomer Marketing Campaign Today
Sixty Five Plus Marketing, Inc. is ready to launch your baby boomer marketing campaign in as little as 1 to 2 weeks. Contact president Margaret Grisdela by phone at 888-985-1215 or via email for a free marketing consultation to get started.
Three Reasons to Hire Sixty Five Plus Marketing, Inc.
- Get More Clients. Drive more business to your website and intake lines when you accelerate your visibility through social media marketing, newsletters, online advertising, and other lead generation campaigns.
- Increase Revenue. Targeted marketing campaigns will help you get more business from your current clients, increase word-of-mouth referrals, and accelerate industry referrals.
- Save Money. No need to hire your own in-house marketing team when we create and implement structured marketing programs to grow your business.
You will save time and money because Sixty Five Plus Marketing, Inc. gives you immediate access to experienced marketing professionals who get right to work as your outsourced marketing department.
Imagine what you can do with more time and money to focus on your day-to-day business operations and long-term growth strategy! Contact Margaret Grisdela via email or at 888-985-1215 for more information.